Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A message to my Abby

When Abby was born, I started a journal full of her accomplishments, stats, etc and I vowed that I would write in it regularly so that she could look back on the journal someday.  I have epically failed to do this- and am upset that I haven't followed through- and then I remembered that I have this blog- and that someday she'll see this blog- and she'll learn all about us learning about her.  :)  So, this is a selfish entry to my dear daughter today- because there is always so much that I want her to know.  :)

Dear Little Miss Independent,

There are so many things that your dad and I learn daily about parenthood, about you, about ourselves, and about this wild world that we live in.  Here are a couple of things that have been on my mind lately.

When you were born, you needed us for everything- even to hold up your most perfect wee head.  We held you in our arms for hours, doted on your every need, and marveled at your amazing existence.  Today, you need us a little less.  We are so proud of your strength, your independence, and your determination to conquer the next developmental hurdle with record speed.  You never cease to amaze us, and you never will.  With every new milestone, we exude immense amounts of pride (and a little bit of sadness that you're needing us even a little less).  Thank you for miraculously sharing all of your firsts with us so far.  We know that this will not always be the case, but you've been very sensitive and accommodating thus far and we appreciate it.

Please forgive your silly mother for the nights that she picks you up while you're asleep in your crib, briefly wakes you from your slumber, and holds you on her chest for an hour or so.  There are never enough hours in the day and sometimes your mother just needs to be with you a little bit longer.

We have no idea what we're doing... but it seems to be working.  Parenthood is a lot of trial and error and we've had our accomplishments and failures (ask us if we ever made you a bed time playlist.  We had big aspirations...  but at this moment, you still do not have a bed time playlist- and you probably never will- and that's ok.)  You will find your groove as a mother, just like we've found our groove as parents, but if I ever try to tell you that I knew what I was doing, or that I did things right- just remind me of this fact- I'm currently still figuring things out- and I still will be when you remind me of this fact.

When I was pregnant with you- you had very specific hours to remind me of your existence.  When I could first feel you- the flutter of a butterfly back then- I always felt you move at 4PM on the dot; and when I was very uncomfortably pregnant with you, you liked to do gymnastics from 7-11PM each and every day.

You loved Ben Folds before you were born- you kicked every time a song of his was playing- or if he was talking.  You also loved Justin Beiber- your dad and I have chosen not to make a big deal out of this one...  ;)  The first song that I remember you showing appreciation for as a new born is Bruno Mars' Lazy Song- maybe this will embarrass you someday, but right now, that's still pretty cool.  You just love music- in all forms.

You had your first solids a day before your 6 month birthday- we couldn't wait any longer to see you try them.  You ate sweet potato and you hated it.  And come to think of it, I should mention that you will eat any fruit or vegetable that we put in front of you now- except green beans are a bit yucky- but you'll eat them too- almost all of them.  At 9 months, avocado is your favorite.

You slept as Dave Matthews looked down on you for the first few months that you slept in your crib.  I'm sure that not many children can claim the same.  If you inexplicably love or hate his music when you're older, you can blame it on the Dave Matthews poster that your mom and dad hung on the wall next to your crib.  Your parents are DMB nuts- and this was a bit over the top.  ;)

Predictions are that you will love roller coasters.  You just love to be tossed and swung around- this might sound dangerous but if you could see your smiling face, you'd do it too.  ;)

You are fearless- except when it comes to the vacuum cleaner.  Currently, there is nothing as scary as that vacuum cleaner.  Your kitty Orion must have taught you that.

You have made my life 1,000 times more better- and my life was wonderful before you- so thank you for adding so much more light, love, and laughter to an already wonderful existence.

Pick your battles.  You will never be the "perfect parent"- they do not actually exist.  Stick to what is important to you, and don't sweat the small stuff- this goes for most situations, if not all, in life.

You are, in fact, the most beautiful baby in the world.  Well, at least in our eyes you are.  :)

Love,
One of your biggest fans, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment